VIDEO: Sneak peek of the new LAX Terminal 6
Design inspired by L.A.’s famed Sunset Boulevard features 21 new dining and retail destinations; newly revealed first-of-its-kind The Marketplace by Wolfgang Puck
In partnership with Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA), Westfield is giving a sneak peek of the transformation coming to Terminal 6 at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) with the release of an exclusive new video. Inspired by Los Angeles’ iconic Sunset Boulevard, the new design will feature 14 L.A.-based brands and 13 new airport firsts anywhere, and unite the terminal’s existing disjointed buildings into a seamless, cutting-edge consumer experience.
Among the 21 new dining and retail destinations in Westfield’s 17,400-square-foot collection is newly announced The Marketplace by Wolfgang Puck, a first-of-its-kind modern dining experience by CMS Hospitality and Wolfgang Puck Worldwide. The Marketplace joins 18 additional brands announced in late 2014. Featuring three culinary stations – The Kitchen, WPizza, and The Wine Bar, a full service bar, The Marketplace will offer a variety of tastes to suit every palate or budget. The transformation will take place while the terminal continues to serve travelers and is expected to be completed in 2016 with new retail, dining and amenities phasing in incrementally to provide immediate enhancements.
“By infusing the terminal with cutting-edge multisensory design, innovative new technologies and a signature blend of local flavors and the best international brands, we’ve crafted a singular vision for Terminal 6 which reflects the style, spirit and scenery of L.A.’s legendary Sunset Boulevard,” said Dominic Lowe, Executive Vice President, Westfield, developer of LAX’s Terminals 1, 2, 3, 6 and Tom Bradley International Terminal. “As the complete transformation takes shape, we are committed to a continued partnership with Los Angeles World Airports to forge a bold new path at LAX.”
L.A.’s Storied Sunset Boulevard Inspires Design
Coined “The Boulevard,” Westfield’s design vision features bold architectural lighting, engaging digital technologies, and a cohesive use of materials to create a relaxing yet dramatic environment mirroring the experience of traveling along Sunset Boulevard, from downtown Los Angeles to the Pacific Coast Highway. The meandering curves in Bel Air and Brentwood inspired the retail and dining districts, while a calm glowing bar becomes the ultimate destination to relax or recharge before a flight.
Constructed in 1961 and expanded in 1979, LAX’s Terminal 6 is home to 14 gates and five carriers serving both domestic and international travelers. In 2014, Terminal 6 served approximately 8 million travelers. The new design opens up the interface between the original terminal and its connector – built more than a decade later – to create more space and new sightlines to shopping, dining and gates. Gate areas will feature a café, lounge and communal seating with ample charging outlets to offer travelers the option to work, relax or socialize before boarding.
More Than Double the Dining and Retail Destinations
Curated by Westfield, the new Terminal 6 dining collection includes 11 new options – up from five in the existing program –which bring global flavors together for a traveler-friendly mix of healthy and fresh sit-down, casual dining, and grab-and-go. With five times the shopping options at 10 destinations, travelers can look forward to an enhanced offering of travel essentials and specialty retail.
- Experience uniquely modern dining at The Marketplace by Wolfgang Puck, featuring:
- The Kitchen, dishing up masterful culinary creations to be enjoyed within the dining room or on-the-go;
- WPizza, with customizable pies and an assortment of fresh salads and sandwiches;
- The Wine Bar, a focal point of The Marketplace where guests can enjoy small plates or gourmet meals, an extensive wine list, and craft cocktails and beers;
- Taste traditional old-world Italian cuisine at Osteria by Fabio Viviani, a debut L.A. concept created by the famed Top Chef;
- Indulge in juicy California-style charburgers at The Habit Burger Grill;
- Chow down on a menu of eclectic fusion fare with a Hawaiian vibe at Wahoo’s Fish Taco;
- Dine on L.A. beach-inspired cuisine at Blu2o;
- Delight in healthy fresh juices and fresh salads for a signature California lifestyle at Earth Bar;
- Sample world-class craft beers by a local craft brewery at Point the Way Café;
- Sip on the world’s best known coffees at Starbucks and Starbucks Evenings locations;
- Pick up must-have travel essentials at Los Angeles News, Access Hollywood, Sunset News, and MARKET 8600;
- Discover the best designer apparel for men, women and kids from one of Southern California’s most chic boutiques at M. Fredric;
- Shop TUMI, creating world-class business and travel essentials, designed to upgrade, uncomplicate, and beautify all aspects of life on the move;
- Relax at XpresSpa, with massage, nail and facial services and a retail selection of locally produced beauty and travel products;
- Stock up on the latest cosmetics for the makeup addict at MAC Cosmetics;
- Choose from over 100 different candies and chocolates with rich heritage at See’s Candies; and
- Find the latest in electronics and cutting-edge technology at Belkin.
Westfield’s operating partners at Terminal 6 are CMS Hospitality, Delaware North, HMSHost, Hudson Group, J&H Enterprises, SSP America, Tumi, Inc., World Duty Free Group and XpresSpa.