Westfield Unveils Six New Brands Coming in First Wave of LAX Terminal 1 Overhaul
Transformation to feature 24 new dining and retail concepts when complete; Bold new design of Southwest flagship will excite and delight more than 7M travelers annually
Six new dining and retail destinations – including four Southern California concepts – will be coming to Terminal 1 at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), part of a $508 million overhaul spearheaded by Southwest Airlines in partnership with Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA), Westfield announced today. The new venues – which include four new retail shops, a spa and an L.A.-based rock-inspired restaurant – are the first step in a dramatic transformation of Terminal 1 that, when completed, will feature 24 new dining and retail concepts with a bold new terminal design.
The six new locations are expected to open progressively, with the total transformation of Terminal 1 completed in 2018.
“We’re excited to announce the beginning of a terrific new dining and retail collection as Southwest’s flagship terminal at LAX gets underway,” said Dominic Lowe, Executive Vice President, Westfield. “As proud partners of Southwest Airlines and Los Angeles World Airports, we’re working together to forge a transformative, seamless new experience for Terminal 1 travelers from curb to gate.”
When complete, Westfield’s new retail and dining collection will span 25,242 square feet – nearly double the previous program. Plans include two full-service restaurants, one of which will be the L.A.-based Rock & Brews co-founded by KISS front men Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley, along with a variety of casual, grab-and-go food offerings from local chefs and restaurateurs, as well as new high-end retail and travel essentials. The program will open progressively, with the initial Westfield-developed spaces scheduled to open late 2015.
When Phase 1 of the redevelopment is complete, travelers will:
- Sample a broad selection of international and world-class craft beers and quality American comfort food in a vibrant environment that celebrates everything they love about rock and roll at Rock & Brews;
- Pamper themselves with on-demand spa treatments at Be Relax, an LAX first, with massage, nail and facial services;
- Shop quality surf wear and lifestyle products from the iconic boardsports brand Quiksilver, an airport first;
- Indulge in confections from the debut of Treat Me Sweet, an airport first;
- Pick up must-have travel essentials, souvenirs and news & gifts at I Love L.A.; and
- Discover unique gifts for men, women, and children at Brookstone.
Westfield’s operating partners for the initial six dining and retail destinations at Terminal 1 are Crews (formerly Crews of California), LA-based Soto & Sanchez, Brookstone, Inc., and Be Relax.
Design Vision Introduces Travelers to “The Unexpected”
The new Terminal 1 design vision forges the unexpected with efficiency, which is expressed through simple but sculptural forms curated with artisanal, creative and fun products, palette and finishes. The terminal will be brought to life with open and expanded views to the exciting flight operations outside, inviting sightlines, as well as authentic layers of materials and finishes, sculpted facades and pops of color inside.
Past the security screening checkpoint passengers are invited on a world-class journey through unique districts with blurred boundaries:
- The Crossing: The first impression just past security welcomes passengers and offers a place of orientation and confirmation through its open visual access to a variety of dining, shopping and gate lounges.
- Commercial Anchors: A memorable and inviting experience that maximizes views and natural light. It features a cafe, Duty Free and Travel Essentials to draw travelers.
- Marketplace: A vibrant dining experience featuring a sculptural origami-inspired ceiling, open sightlines to gate areas, while expansive windows maximize daylight and views to the tarmac.
- Commercial Hub: An immersive retail experience, featuring unifying retail storefronts with dynamic portals, maximum height, transparency, and a layering of graphics and merchandising connects the area with adjacent dining and gate lounges.
- Activated Gate Lounges: Features open dining and floating retail to create a relaxed and connected, porous walk-through experience and maximum views from all sides.
Constructed in 1984, Terminal 1 is home to 15 gates and is served exclusively by Southwest Airlines. In 2014, more than 7.6 million travelers passed through Terminal 1.