Westfield bringing 24 new dining & retail destinations, cutting-edge new design to LAX Terminal 1
Project partners celebrate construction kick-off of Southwest hub overhaul
Marking another major milestone in the ongoing transformation of Los Angeles International Airport, Westfield joined Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti and officials from Southwest Airlines and Los Angeles World Airports today to kick off construction of the airline’s $500 million modernization program. Westfield will introduce Southwest travelers to 24 new world-class dining and retail destinations and a reimagined experience featuring a hip, modern Californian feel that taps into the LA feeling and energy of the Southwest brand.
“The redevelopment of Terminal 1 is another pivotal milestone in our journey to bring world-class dining, retail and amenities to the millions of travelers who use LAX as their gateway to the world,” said Dominic Lowe, Executive Vice President, Westfield. “We are thrilled to partner with Southwest Airlines and Los Angeles World Airports to create a uniquely Los Angeles, cutting-edge new environment and passenger experience to rival the world’s best airport terminals.”
The design vision forges the unexpected with efficiency, which is expressed through simple but sculptural forms curated with artisanal, creative and fun products, palette and finishes. The terminal will be brought to life with opened and expanded views to the exciting flight operations outside, inviting sightlines, as well as authentic layers of materials and finishes, sculpted facades and pops of color inside.
Past the security screening checkpoint passengers are invited on a world-class journey through unique districts with blurred boundaries:
- The Crossing: The first impression just past security which welcomes passengers and offers a place of orientation and confirmation through its open visual access to variety of dining, shopping and gate lounges.
- Commercial Anchors: A memorable and inviting experience that maximizes views and daylighting. It features a cafe, Duty Free and Travel Essentials to draw travelers back.
- Marketplace: A vibrant dining experience featuring a sculptural origami-inspired ceiling, open sightlines to gate areas and expansive windows maximize daylight and views to the tarmac.
- Commercial Hub: An immersive retail experience, featuring unifying retail storefronts with dynamic portals, maximum height, transparency, and layering of graphics and merchandising connects the area with adjacent dining and holdrooms.
- Activated Gate Lounges: Feature open dining and floating retail to create a relaxed and connected, porous walk-through experience and maximum views from all sides.
Westfield’s new retail and dining collection will offer 24 spaces across 25,242 square feet – nearly double the existing program. Plans include two full-service restaurants along with a variety of casual, grab-and-go food offerings from Los Angeles-based chefs and restaurateurs, as well as new high-end retail and traveler essentials. The program will open in a phased approach, with the first Westfield developed spaces scheduled to open late Summer 2015.