“LAX Beach” Debuts at the New TBIT
New children’s play area by Westfield showcases local scenery, innovative design
Surf’s up! Just in time for the holidays, a new children’s play area – dubbed “LAX Beach” – has opened in the new Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). Designed by Westfield, the new play area is part of a world-class dining and retail collection by Westfield featuring over 60 new premier shops and restaurants – including 22 local L.A. brands – cutting-edge design and dazzling amenities. The terminal celebrated the start of flight operations and public opening this September, marking a major milestone in the multibillion dollar LAX modernization project.
Located post-security in order to conveniently serve travelers while waiting for flights, the 971-square-foot LAX Beach provides fun for children ages 2-8. Composed of hand-painted, soft, sculpted foam pieces resembling beachscapes like waves, surfboards, and sea life, LAX Beach features a slide, beach toys and more for children to enjoy. Adjacent seating overlooking the area offers a place to relax.
“I think it’s safe to say that happy children make better flyers. With the opening of LAX Beach, we are going to see a lot more happy children on our international flights,” said Los Angeles World Airports Executive Director Gina Marie Lindsey. “It’s just another step along the path LAX is taking to improve the traveling experience for every passenger – no matter how young.”
“We understand that air travel – particularly for those flying internationally – can be a cumbersome process for families with small children,” said Eileen Hanson, VP of Marketing for Westfield’s airport division. “LAX Beach is just one of an array of family-friendly options in the new Tom Bradley International Terminal, creating a fun and stress-free experience for travelers of all ages.”
LAX Beach joins a host of other family-friendly options at the new TBIT, including:
- Small gifts, big smiles at Sanrio Surprises, home of Hello Kitty® and the ideal spot for gifting;
- Bead Factory, where children can design their own bracelets;
- Made-from-scratch cupcakes and delicious, dainty confections at Vanilla Bake Shop;
- Kitson, where shopping is fun for everyone and a favorite go-to for celeb parents with clothing, toys and the hippest merchandise;
- Comfort food classics that are kid-tested and parent-approved at Marmalade Café;
- Quesadillas, tacos and more to suit palates of all ages at Border Grill;
- Affordable dining for the whole family at Panda Express; and
- A dedicated section for children’s books at Relay and The Economist.
LAX Beach is located near the Dining Terrace and is open during terminal hours. The play area was manufactured by Playtime, LLC.